Cake Boss star Buddy Valastro had a “terrible” bowling accident on Sunday in which his hand was impaled.
A representative for Valastro told PEOPLE the accident happened while the chef was spending quality time with his family on the bowling alley in their home. “There was a malfunction with the bowling pinsetter, a common fix in the past, but it turned out to be a terrible accident.”
“After attempting to remove the bowling pin from the cage mechanism, his right hand became trapped and compressed in the unit,” they continued. “Since he cannot remove his hand, he can slowly and repeatedly see his hand three times between his ring and middle fingers.”
Valastro’s 13- and 16-year-old sons used a saw to cut the metal bar and free it, the representative said.
Valastroshared the news on Instagram with a picture of himself in a hospital bed with a plaster cast on his right arm. “I was involved in a terrible accident a few days ago … What do you think of my new accessory? “
Valastro had two operations on his hand and was released from hospital on Wednesday.
“It will be a tough fight because it is Buddy’s dominant right-hand man and he will need long-term recovery and therapy,” said Valastro’s representative. told PEOPLE.